How Attached Are You?

Wednesday, May 06, 2015

I don't think we realise how attached we are to our phones until we are forced to be without one.

The mobile is not just a phone though - they're generally smart phones with multiple functions and the ability to access various media platforms like texting, email, blogs, social media, gaming, listening to music, taking photos etc. You could call this technological convergence, and its literally put all the useful and necessarily tools into one device that make life so much easier as you don't have to carry several devices around or physical copies of maps.

It was unfortunate that my iPhone 6 stopped working on Monday - it's stuck on the turning on white screen with a black apple icon. It's was like this for the whole day, and I basically given up on trying to get it to turn on. At the time, I said "I will take it into the Apple store soon, but knowing my luck it will probably start working as soon as I get there..." (Spoiler: it didn't).

But I find myself flailing without it. Unable to contact anyone, stay updated with news and changes in my feeds in social media or check what train I can catch. I can't check the time unless I find a clock in a classroom or a public space, or I pull out my laptop. In this world today where we're so heavily reliant on communication and information technology, it's a challenge to put it down especially if you're accustomed to it. And it's hard. But when you're forced to put it down, it makes you appreciate how convenient and easy it was to access information, keep in contact with others and organise your social life through your mobile phone - you're cut off.

Even finding time to go to the Apple Store is stressful - I drove a good 20 minutes to one on Tuesday, and they couldn't do anything for me as they were fully booked out. All they said was that it would most likely need to be replaced and to drop by an Apple Store early in the morning. That night I was torn between missing a tutorial or going to uni, heading back to an Apple Store and back again for my tutorial in the afternoon and it was really frustrating because if I couldn't get this sorted on Wednesday, I wouldn't be able to use it the way I want to next week. My iPhones have an uncanny way of knowing when I need them most and then dying on me. Especially the wifi.

I feel that it's a good experience though. You can learn a lot about yourself, including your reliance on technology in everyday functions and how you function when you're stressed.

Friends, when you get a moment, think about how you use your mobile and how reliant you are on it. Would you have the same problem as me? Would it be easier for you to let go of it?

With love, Sarah x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram

Twitter