5 Ways to Stay Focused | Procrastination at its Finest & Update

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Do you ever find that the more assessments and deadlines you have to meet, the more likely you are to find irrelevant things more interesting or more important?

If yes, read on. If no, well, uh... You're pretty amazing.

And for me?

Last Sunday it resulted in me spending around six hours choreographing a 30 second piece for a dance class I was running. But time doesn't stop for you, and as much as you want your assessments to be over you just have to power through.

What I would be doing if I suddenly became sleepy.
Something that I've realised (once again) over the last few weeks is that being very busy can be both a blessing and a curse, and it takes a lot of self-control to manage but also to look after your health and to make sure you don't cross your limits. Being busy helps you organise your time into digestible blocks of time which then helps you study - time pressure is always useful. But the flipside is that if you don't leave enough time to study or blocks of time for yourself to focus, then you tend to collapse.
Keep smiling! But please do talk to someone if something isn't okay.
But here's what I'm going to do about it.

1. Get enough sleep
I've been sleeping at 11-11:30pm the last few nights, so it's helped with feeling well rested. I've even had to avoid the caffeine because it makes me feel too unsettled.

2. Come up with a plan
Having a plan helps with planning your day (duh) but also breaking up time into digestible chunks so you can focus, take a break, focus etc.

3. Do what you feel like doing.
In terms of subjects, it's always best to do something if you have inspiration for it or a sudden drive to finish a task - as long as you come back to your other tasks. I managed to do this today - I couldn't focus on agenda setting so I decided to start an essay about Facebook and social media. #ArtsStudentLife

4. Start doing things that I used to love (and still do) but I don't do much of anymore.
I used to swim, dance, play flute and do more sport on a regular basis. Fast forward to today and I haven't been to a pool or touch my flute in months, and the only dancing I've done is either at parties or at revue. It's just not quite the same.

This point is actually inspired by my friend Donna (you can find her post here) who also flagged her lack of fitness as an issue - and since I still stand by the idea that you shouldn't stop anything to study, I don't know why I did. It's time to get back to the pool and use my 20 visit pass, and pick up my flute again and do things that I enjoy.

5. And finally, remember that everything follows a process and that it never really stops, so it's best to pull out time to hang out with friends, family and relax as you're going along. Something that I should probably manage a bit better.

Also remember to have a change of scenery because that also does wonders to increase productivity.

Other things like having a cup of tea or going for a walk are also very useful in the short term. Tell me how you stay focused in the comments below!

It's been a bit of a balancing act for me over the last week with things like:
  • assessments (since I only had 2 in the first seven weeks of semester)
  • Law Revue AGM (where I presented a speech and Q&A for Producer and I'll be back again next year to try again)
  • Photo shoot with my internship for our #1newplus2 campaign 
  • the usual study workload, internship workload and work itself.
There's been quite a few moments where I almost lose hope and I want to give up because I'm just so tired. Fast forward to today where I sat in a library, sleepy but not sleep-deprived and unable to focus on my 3000 word final portfolio for my arts assessment that is due on Sunday at 4pm - I keep telling myself that it will be over soon and that I need to get this done, but as we all know, that's more difficult than it sounds.

I've also found myself seeking the company of others more often, and it's becoming difficult because so many people are studying and I can't seem to locate them (or when I can, my mind is too scattered to study). But it will be done soon, and I can get onto exploring more of Sydney, redecorating my room, changing the look of this blog, reading and colouring in. I'm excited!
"I'm only highlighting what's important!" More like colouring in...
Look after yourselves friends - assessments are upon us but the end is near, and that signals freedom! Tell me how you're going in the comments below. Good luck, and see you soon.

With love, Sarah x

First image: corporation-cats.tumblr.com
Second image: the-real-eye-to-see.tumblr.com
Third image: postivelifetips.com
Fourth image: slothilda.com

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. omg I know this feeling all too well (here I am right now at uni precisely NOT studying) but it's good you're trying to keep things balanced! Also good luck for your assessments and everything else

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it can be like that (I'm writing another blog post now - I should take my own advice). Good luck to you too!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Instagram

Twitter