Hello from the Other Side (Of Med Revue)

Saturday, May 28, 2016

[Warning: Revue-centric post]

It's funny how a year ago, I wrote up a post about Med Revue 2015 as part of Tech Crew and it's so optimistic - I was so fresh and it literally skims the surface of revue. A year later, I've been a part of Law Revue cast, Front of House for two shows, ran for Producer and choreographed and danced in another Med Revue. They say a lot changes in a year, but I feel like I've really grown a lot and Revue has changed my life - I've made so many wonderful friends and there are so many people I care about, and I'm so excited to be able to help make it happen and help first-timers gain the same experience I did and grow as people in their revue journey.

I'm sitting here filled with Revue nostalgia and withdrawal from Med Revue: Doctor Flu and to think that I was only a small part of it just makes me realise how much revue means to me and why this weird voodoo revue magic makes me keep coming back. I have a heavy feeling in my heart and I miss spending so much time with my revue friends - my life feels a little empty even though I still have other things that I need to care about.

Photo by Parallax Photography
I think this year's show is so special to me because it was 1) a really amazing show and I got to shape part of it but 2) I somehow managed to become friends with casties and see people grow into someone who was more sure of themselves and confident, and that honestly has been the most rewarding thing. I feel sad that I'm not completely a part of cast, but I still have the rest of the revue community who understand what I'm feeling right now.

But not to dwell on the sad things, because there were many wonderful and beautiful things that happened too, especially during show week.

The dance that I choreographed with Ronn. It turned out pretty well - there are some things that could be improved but hey it's all a learning curve. To see other dances, we made a playlist so check it out.
I've choreographed before, but it's never been as rewarding as this time. I was lucky enough to be working with Ronn Lo, my friend and fellow dancer for almost 6 years, and we just bounced off each other really well and had similar ideas. We had frustrating moments, we had moments where we would smash out a minute of a dance in two hours, but most of all, we had fun. And to think of the first time I choreographed for a staged performance (JRAHS Musical 2013) and compare it to today... I can say that I've grown a lot and I've got a much better idea of how to stage something and tell a story. I still get flustered, I still get stressed and and semi gave up on it towards the end - but I'm actually really proud of what Ronn and I managed to achieve. It also brings me so much joy when the dancers tell me that it's their favourite dance - and I hope they can take away the tricks, skills and confidence they gained from our dance sessions.
Powerful. | Photo by Parallax Photography
Right before show week, I watched the last videos so many times and it was so difficult to enjoy it because we lost so much of the atmosphere of the dance as we weren't dancing with a backing track, we were dancing to a band version of the song. The last few days before Opening Night I was quite upset over how the dance turned out - but I'm so grateful that band got their act together and all the performers gave their heart and soul to the dance and made it really wonderful. In all honesty, it wasn't the cleanest dance and in terms of staging and technical level it wasn't that hard, but I'm glad cast enjoyed themselves. And hey, maybe next year I'll be back to make a harder dance. And I'll be stricter. And maybe we'll pull off something half as amazing as Opening Dance this year.
Cast of Med Revue 2016. | Photo by Parallax Photography
It's been a whirlwind of emotions and I'm glad I made it through my crazy 2nd week of May - but I miss it all the same. I hope some of the friendships I made will be the ones that stick with me and carry me through life - especially since I seem to be terrible at maintaining friendships.

See you on the other side of uni semester/exams - take care friends.

With love, Sarah x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram

Twitter