Review: Devon Cafe, Surry Hills

Monday, June 15, 2015

What do you do to celebrate the end of uni final exams? Visit a trendy cafe in Surry Hills for lunch with friends of course (also it's the time to go shopping but that's not relevant here).

Devon Cafe is just a few minutes walk from Central station and is tucked up on Devonshire Street off Chalmers Street.

I've been meaning to go there for a while now, but last time I tried it didn't turn out so well. A week and a half ago I visited with some other friends, but we didn't know that the kitchen closed at 3pm and we got there at 3:30pm. The interior of the cafe was pretty hip and welcoming though, so I just ordered an Organic Chai ($4), waited for my friends and left at 4pm to eat somewhere else.

Tip of the Day: If you want food from their main menu, their kitchen closes at 3pm and they only serve coffee and pastries after the kitchen closes until closing.

But Devon Cafe didn't disappoint this time! We arrived at midday and the Cafe was already filling up so there was a short wait for us since we were a group of five. It wasn't long before we were taken to the back area where it has graffiti and fake leaf netting on their walls, which is pretty cool. They also had the menu and cutlery already laid out on the table when we sat down which was lovely as well.

Here's our food menu:

I had a hard time deciding between the Lamb Sandwich ($22) and the Ogre Burger ($22) - I'm quite indecisive and they both sounded delicious, plus I was hungry after my exam. In the end I went with the Eggs Blini ($20) because I was craving eggs and Mikado sauce, and someone showed me their Instagram photo which had a very colourful and appetising Eggs Blini in the background. It was also cheaper! I still wanted to try the Lamb Sandwich, so I ended up sharing the Eggs Blini and Lamb Sandwich with one of my friends.

The waitresses were a bit slow in getting around to us and taking our orders, however we may have just appeared as an indecisive group of people and they waited for us to finish deciding.
Eggs Blini | Buckwheat blini, cured king salmon, salmon caviar, brocollini, sauce Mikado and two poached eggs.
Eggs Blini (front), Ogre burger (left) and Breakfast with the Sakuma's (back).
The presentation of my Eggs Blini looked absolutely amazing. Everything about from the colours to the eggs and salmon - I could not wait to get started. The taste was quite good too - I loved the sauce and the poached eggs were beautifully done so they were still runny inside, just the way I like it. Plus who can go wrong smoked salmon?

We left feeling very satisfied and very full - although it's on the more pricey side of the food places I normally venture to, I felt that I got my money's worth and had a good experience. I will definitely return to try other dishes with other friends or family, especially Breakfast with the Sakuma's and the Little Lost Bread.
The whole table | Eggs Blini (bottom left), Lamb Sandwich (bottom right), Ogre Burger (left and top right) and Breakfast with Sakuma's (top right). 
Total Bill: $20 for Eggs Blini.

Will I return? Yes.

Food: 4/5
Price: $$
Service: 4/5
Ambience: 3/5

Details and Links:
Website (for more menus, locations and opening hours): www.devoncafe.com.au
Instagram (for more delicious looking food): @devoncafe
Location76 Devonshire St, Surry Hills NSW 2010, just off Chalmers Street. Few minutes walk from Central Station.

With love, Sarah x

PS: Let me know if you enjoyed this post down in the comments or tweet me!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram

Twitter