Identity Crisis

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Ever had the feeling where you work with something for so long that you get attached and you can't let it go, even though you have a feeling that it's not going to work out? We can call it the escalation of commitment or sunk cost fallacy.


What is the escalation of commitment? It's when you continue to put time and energy into something even when you know that it's going to fail or it's wrong. And this, my friends, is why I feel like I'm having an identity crisis. I don't know who I am, what I'm doing and I feel very confused and conflicted about my position... in the blogging world.
I tried to streamline my social media accounts a few months ago after keeping them all separate from each other for years. One of the main things I did was revamp my blog and give it a (somewhat) fresh start. I say somewhat because there's a few old posts which have a similar style to what I'm posting here, and it essentially looked the same as this one in the beginning. Same name, different url, except the one that I originally wanted was taken, but it's literally a blank page. This annoys me. I tried Wordpress too, but I didn't have any luck there either. Another problem I have is YouTube, where I created an account under a username I now don't like and have yet to work out how to change it (not that I use it for posting content at the moment anyway).

So I have an online identity problem, and I should be studying for exams instead of letting this get to me. I got really stuck and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. But that's okay, because sometimes you have to do what you have to do and sort out an identity crisis. I really want to get this sorted except there's so much to think about since the name can say so much about you and I want something memorable.

Here's how I could potentially sort things out:

1. Decide on a URL/domain name and stick with it. Make sure it's relevant to your content or who you are, and then do a quick google search to see if it's not already being used by someone else.
2. Get the domain and set it up to your standards. Include appropriate widgets and link it to your social media.
3. Choose and work out what content you want to post and categorise it to make life easy for the reader (and yourself!)
4. And post away!

But of course with my luck the URL I want is an empty blog, and I suck at making decisions.

I wish you all luck, and I really do hope you have better luck than me in finally sorting it all out (and not potentially failing exams). It's almost become an obsession for me to work it out.

If you are going through something similar or have advice, let me know in the comments below or tweet me! If you have anything else to say let me know too because I love hearing from you all. 

With love, Sarah x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram

Twitter