Review: Cafe Cre Asion, Sydney CBD

Monday, July 06, 2015

If you're a big fan of green tea or matcha like me, you're going to love Cafe Cre Asion.

I visited Cafe Cre Asion last Tuesday - I've been waiting a good two weeks to try out this cafe. I've been excited since a friend linked me a review from I'm Still Hungry when we were trying to find a place to eat. The moment I saw the word 'matcha', I was sold - anything with green tea ticks all the boxes for me!

Photo from imstillhungry.net
The place is tucked away in a hidden alley off Sydney's Alberta Street and is about a 5 minute walk from Museum Station. It's quite small - there aren't very many tables so if you go with a large group you might find it difficult to find seats. Although we were sitting on stools at a low coffee table it was still cozy, and the food and drinks made up for it.  

My friend and I ordered the Macha Green Tea Latte ($5) and the Honey Yuzu Lemonade ($5) which you can order hot or cold as we waited for a third friend.
Honey Yuza Lemonade (bottom), Macha Green Tea Latte (top).

The Macha was quite impressive. It tasted quite amazing - it was a really good balance between sweet and green tea. It was sweet enough to balance out the slight bitterness of the green tea, but it wasn't overly sweet like some green tea lattes I've had elsewhere which made me cringe. Plus the cup/bowl was quite large so it was well worth the money, and it sat on top of a crocheted dolly which was also quite cute. I saw a lot of people ordering take away coffee as well so that's also an option if you're short on time or you don't want to wait for a table. I would definitely recommend trying their Macha Green Tea Latte because it's really quite good and personally I'm definitely going back for more. 

The Honey Yuzu Lemonade was quite good as well - it reminded me of those Asian honey lemon lollies since it was a good mix of sweet and zesty. I think this drink would be really good if you're feeling a bit sick or your throat or voice needs to recover, but on an ordinary day it's a good choice as well if you want something a bit different. 

Because I'm forgetful and I got carried away with chatting, I forgot to take a photo of the menu. But you can check our their (not updated) menu here - there's a few new items like the Honey Yuzu Lemonade and the salad that isn't on there and the prices are slightly different. 

Double Ham Sandwich (left), Chicken Salad (bottom right and right), Poached Free Range Chicken Sandwich (top) and Macha Green Tea Latte (middle).
I ordered a Chicken Salad ($14) and my two friends ordered a Double Ham Sourdough Sandwich ($11) and Poached Free Range Chicken Sourdough Sandwich ($12). From reading I'm Still Hungry's review, I knew that their salad had more than their sourdough sandwiches which was why they were more expensive, but this salad was quite impressive. 
Chicken Salad | Chicken and Enoki mushrooms with mayonnaise, garden greens, radish, zucchini, avocado and half boiled egg. 
I had a hard time choosing between their sourdough and salad, and the salad didn't disappoint. I didn't expect Enoki mushroom with the chicken in creamy mayo sauce, something I've never seen in a cafe salad before, and the salad dressing had a fresh and slightly zesty and tangy flavour. There was a lot in the salad - I rarely ever have radish in my salad and I love half cooked egg so it was perfect. Overall it was really delicious and the different flavours mixed really well. There was even a slice of sourdough which I couldn't finish.

We'd also heard a lot about their Green Tea Fondant and Green Tea Muffin - but because we were so full we only ordered a Fondant to share ($8.50). 

Green Tea Fondant with mixed berries and more green tea!
The Fondant was beautifully presented with mixed berries and a green tea sauce, and it tasted just as good as it looked. I have a sweet tooth, so naturally I loved the mix of chocolate and green tea - and I couldn't get enough of the green tea sauce so I dipped the fruit in it too! It was a bit on the pricey side, but we were at a cafe that served matcha desserts - why wouldn't you splurge?

One thing I do have to say is that it's really busy, and the service may be a bit slow as well. But if you're there for a catch up like I was, it just means more time to talk!

They also had some really interesting flavoured macarons (think green tea, organic green tea, chai latte) but we were already quite full with sweet food and they were $2.70 each. I might come back and try these another time, but I will definitely return for the Macha Latte and to try other matcha or sweet treats like the Green Tea Lamington and macarons.

Total Bill: $21.80
= $5 for Macha Green Tea Latte + $14 for Chicken Salad + $2.80 for Green Tea Fondant (split between three).

Will I return? Yes.

Food: 4/5
Price: $
Service: 3/5
Ambience: 3/5

Details and Links:
Website (however their cafe menu is an old one): www.creasion.com.au or in the future, www.creasionmacaron.com
Instagram@cafe.creasion
Location: 21 Alberta Street, Sydney NSW 2000. About 5 minutes walk from Museum Station.
Let me know if you ever visit in the comments below or through Twitter!
With love, Sarah x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram

Twitter