Happiness is Only Real When Shared

Monday, September 07, 2015

I suffer from a case of FOMO (Fear of Missing Out, for anyone who doesn't know). It tends to happen when I give up a part of my life that seems much more fun for something else that's incredibly bland and boring in comparison - and it doesn't help that social media only tends to show the highlights.

It's been a week since I moved into campus and it's been really great being able to finish rehearsals at 11pm, shower and sleep at a decent hour (actually I take that back, I stay up and do work or write things like this) and get up in the morning feeling refreshed - except last Wednesday. That day I woke up feeling ill and poorly, and Panadol has been my best friend since.

I'll admit that I'm a studious person - it's something that hasn't really left me and the idea that I should always try my best at something has been drilled into me since I was young. So I try. And when I was younger it was much easier because the workload was much less, and I could commit to all these other things that weren't academically related. Today, it just doesn't seem to be working out as well.

With Law Revue, I've spent a lot of time in the library studying when all my other friends have been chilling or roaming around uni and I really just don't see them. There have been days in the last few weeks where I question my work ethic and what it's doing to other aspects of my life - I find it interesting that others have said that they want my ability to sit down and study for long periods of time because they don't see what I'm missing out on. I think going to a high school with people who work very hard (academically or otherwise) doesn't necessarily help - my need to fill up all my days with organised events or simply a list of things to do can be problematic sometimes, because rarely can I be spontaneous and my schedule is very full (not to mention that not being on top of things stresses me out very easily).

Having all these hours of promos doesn't really help with the whole trying to stay up to date with study and getting ready for assessments, but I guess I'll deal with that later. I also feel like I'm missing out when I'm not promoting with my revue friends since I'm never there when they do cool things that end up in videos, photos or social media but at the same time I know I need to study.
A friend told me this quote and said that I'd like it. I did.
What do you think? Is it true? Let me know what you think.
The main thing I want to say is that I feel like I'm not experiencing Law Revue to the fullest - it has literally taken over my life, but at the same time having to worry about assessments, assignments and staying up to date with a full time study load while also interning and tutoring doesn't let me enjoy it fully. There's always a grey storm cloud looming over me, ready to fall apart the moment I can't maintain the discipline.

My message to you is to know when to draw the line, to know when you have enough on your plate or too much on your plate and work out how to get out of it asap.

Know when you aren't coping, and that it's okay to take it easy and do less. 

As for me, I'm going to kick ass in this week in the four Law Revue shows that I have (and enjoy all the socials afterwards with the wonderful second family that is revue). Assignments can wait.

With love, Sarah x 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram

Twitter